This twelve-month position provides comprehensive academic advising to an assigned caseload of 300-350 undergraduate students within ten business concentrations. The academic advisor assists current, new and transfer students in understanding their degree requirements, making informed decisions within their curriculum and graduating in a timely manner. Other responsibilities include:
- Meeting with students individually, at a minimum of one time per semester, to discuss academic advising, academic performance, long-term goals and opportunities for student success.
- Providing an individualized academic plan at each advising session that accurately maps out remaining degree requirements, course progression and anticipated graduation date.
- Educating students about curricular requirements, academic standards, and academic milestones related to an intended/chosen academic program.
- Thinking critically to anticipate students' academic needs and provide a proactive level of advising.
- Creating a positive environment that encourages and supports students in exploring their goals, interests, strengths, values and concerns.
- Providing a holistic advising approach that encompasses the multiple facets impacting a student's success.
- Recognizing individual student needs and making referrals as appropriate to other campus services and resources.
- Acting as an academic resource and contact for new and prospective students at orientations, recruiting events, academic fairs and other activities as assigned.
- Providing a high level of service that is receptive, timely, and accurate.
- Serving on the UTC Campus Advisors Council.
Bachelor's degree required. Must have 2 years' experience in a university setting working with students' academic needs, providing advising services, and coordinating support services; or comparable experience in student counseling. Must possess excellent communication, interpersonal, critical thinking and organizational skills. Must have the ability to work effectively with individuals of all cultural backgrounds and experience levels. Must have the ability to prioritize multiple requests. Must possess the ability to thoroughly understand and abide by federal and university guidelines regarding student confidentiality requirements. Must have proficient use of computers and knowledge of various software programs. Knowledge of BANNER, Degree Works, ARGOS, and EAB/SSC CAMPUS is preferred.
Applications must be sent electronically to: https://ut.taleo.net/careersection/ut_chattanooga/jobdetail.ftl?job=18000000NB
The University of Tennessee Chattanooga is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency